When you think Taco Bell you probably never think “the perfect place for the keto diet”.
I sure didn’t associate keto and taco bell. Until one day I went and checked out what keto options Taco Bell had available on their menu.
They had one of those new kiosks that replaces the cashier where you can place your order, and I had a lot of fun going through all of the options.
Call me lame.
This makes ordering keto at taco bell very convenient as you can customize almost every food item to fit into your macros. Whether that be high protein low carb or high fat low carb, taco bell has a meal for you.
Ordering Low Carb at Taco Bell
- Avoid the tortillas– This seems like common sense, but avoid the flour tortillas. The corn tortillas have roughly 10 carbs each, but that can add up really fast when you include sauces and vegetables. You’re looking at 15 carbs per taco,and it’s not going to fill you up. Avoid if possible.
- Beans– Sadly beans are high carb. You could get away with a small side of beans on the side, but I would avoid altogether to prevent binge eating later on…
- Burrito Wraps – These are a whopping 50 grams per carbs per tortilla! Stay away at all cost. You can find the Keto Taco Bell Nutrition information here.
- Potatoes– Potatoes are high in carbs and should be avoided. Are potatoes the worst offense on a keto diet? No, but if you are trying to lose weight I would avoid them.
Keto-Approved Ingredients at Taco Bell
Many of these add-ons cost something in terms of money, if not much carb-wise.
- Bacon (0 net carbs, 5g fat, 5g protein)
- Avocado Ranch Sauce (0 net carbs, 3.5g fat, 0g protein)
- Sausage Crumbles (0 net carbs, 5g fat, 2g protein)
- Romaine Lettuce (0.5 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Eggs (0 net carbs, 5g fat, 3g protein)
- Marinated Grilled Steak (1 net carb, 2g fat, 8g protein)
- Sausage Patty (0.5 net carbs, 9g fat, 5g protein)
- Fire Grilled Chicken (0.5 net carbs, 3g fat, 16g protein)
- Pico de Gallo (1 net carb, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Cheddar Cheese (1 net carb, 4g fat, 6g protein)
- Guacamole (1.5 net carbs, 3g fat, 0g protein)
- Nacho Cheese Sauce (2 net carbs, 2g fat, 0g protein)
- Sour Cream (2 net carbs) It’s reduced fat. Yeah, we know. (1.5g fat, 0g protein)
10 Keto Meal Options at Taco Bell
Taco bell serves a lot of high carb high fat foods. Thankfully, Taco Bell’s menu can be customized easily for the keto diet. I prefer ordering at the the kisok that they have started to install as it makes customizing very easy and transparent.
The best keto ingredients are chicken, beef, eggs, cheese, and low carb vegetables. The guacamole and sour cream are a great way to increase your fat intake while keeping carbs low.
Best Keto Lunch and Dinner Options at Taco Bell
- Power Menu Chicken Bowl-When ordering this menu item from Taco Bell you can make it keto-approved by ditching the beans and rice. I would suggest getting extra chicken, adding guacamole and extra onions. This all depends on your taste buds. Avocado ranch is a good option and can give the chicken bowl a little extra flavor. The cost of the keto power menu chicken bowl with extra guac is going to be roughly $10. The power bowl is roughly 7 net carbs, 15 grams of fat, and 21 grams of protein. These macros can change depending on which veggies you add to the bowl.
- Power Menu Steak Bowl- ON the keto diet you lucky that you can eat a steak without all the guilt associated. Try getting extra steak with extra cheese and add lettuce and tomatoes with no rice and beans. This is going to make for a very savory dish. The macros are 7 net carbs, 16 grams of fat, and 20 grams of protein. Remember to always check the macros if you are following a strict keto diet. If you are doing lazy keto, just keep the carbs down when ordering at Taco Bell.
- Fiesta Taco Salad- After customization the Fiesta Keto Taco Salad comes in at 9 net carbs, and 15 grams of protein. You want to order no beans, no rice, no red strips ( which are basically tortillas), and ask for it in a bowl rather than a fried tortilla shell. Ask if you can substitute items instead as this might save you money.
- Beefy Five-Layer Burrito– When ordering the keto beefy five layer burrito ask for it in a bowl with no beans and ask for extra cheese and sour cream. This makes a delicous meal. Also, if you net carbs are not pushing their limits for the day go ahead and keep the beans. With the beans the tortilla less burrito will cost you 12 net carbs. Without the beans the burrito will cost you 5 net carb.
- Burrito Supreme- The keto burrito supreme at Taco Bell is a good value for money. It has extra veggies that include tomatoes, onions, and red sauce that they would otherwise charge you to include. It has 5 net carbs, 8 grams of fat and 7 grams of protein.
Pro Tip: Start with a few sides of meat when ordering and then add extra veggies. It’s easier to do when ordering at a Kisok, but ordering with a real person will work also.
5 Taco Bell Low Carb Breakfast Options
Breakfast is my favorite type of food. I love eggs, cheese, omelettes, and vegetables all combined together to create perfection.
Sometimes I don’t have time or want to be lazy and just want to pick up some low carb breakfast food items.
- Naked Egg Taco– When you order without the potatoes the Naked Egg taco becomes keto friendly. Taco bell doesn’t serves the naked taco everywhere, so you will have to check to make sure.
- Mini Skillet– The Mini skillet is one of the best keto meals you can get. Order without potatoes, and it comes in around 345 calories and 4 grams of carbs! Feel free to add some guac and extra cheese.
- Grande Scrambler Burrito – Getting rid of the potatoes and tortillas makes tis Grande Scrambler Burrito keto approved at 20grams of fat, 13 grams of protein, and 6.5 grams of net carbs.
- Grilled Breakfast Burrito- Again, ask for no potatoes and tortillas. Also ask to serve it in a bowl. The potato bites they serve the grilled breakfast burrito with are 5 grams each. I would avoid them as I tend to binge eat…
KETO TACO BELL SAUCE OPTIONS
I love me some sauces! Especially Taco Bells Hot Sauce. Thankfully Taco Bell’s hot sauce is keto friendly at only 1 grams per packet. Be careful though as the hot sauce packets does contain added sugar.
Other low carb sauce options.
- Avocado Ranch – less than 1g net carb
- Spicy Ranch – less than 1g net carb
- Creamy Jalapeno – 1g net carb
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce – 0g net carb
- Green Chili Sauce – 1g net carb
Taco Bell Sauces to Avoid
- Fire Roasted Salsa
- Mexican Pizza Sauce
- Nacho Sauce
- Red Sauce
Keto Taco Bell Drinks
The best drink to order at Taco Bell on a low carb diet is water. They have diet sodas, but you should only drink if you are absolutely dying. The keto diet isn’t only about losing weight, but also about living a healthier lifestyle.
Keto Fast Food Alternatives to Taco Bell
- Taco Time- Taco time is Taco Bells competitor, I find the food to be a bit higher quality.
- Local Mexican Food Restaurant – I personally love local Mexican Food Restaurants. You can usually just get some carnitas, cheese, and veggies for dirt cheap. IT’s a way better value than eating keto Taco Bell.
Commonly Asked Questions
Is Taco Sauce Keto Friendly?
Hot sauce Taco Sauce packets are around 1 carb each. This makes them low carb, and keto-approved.
Is Taco Sauce the healthiest food? Absolutely not.
What are the Taco Bell Taco Salad Carbs Without Shell?
The Taco Bell Salad without the shell come in at 9 grams each.
Keto Taco Bell- The Conclusion
With a lot of customization, you can make some pretty taste keto approved, low carb friendly taco meals. Do you have any suggestions for this keto taco bell guide? If so, let me know in the comments below!
If you are interested in eating guides on the ketogenic diet check out my other Articles